Wednesday, March 5, 2014

+Eva May Gragg-Edingburg, Mystery Unsolved

Eva May Gragg-Edingburg
was my Grand Uncle Roscoe Edingburg's first wife. I'm writing this short post in hopes of someone reading it and help solve a family mystery.

Eva May Gragg-Edingburg


Eva May Gragg-Edingburg was born  1901 in Georgia I don't know where in Georgia, died: January 10, 1935, Chattanooga, TN.

Eva was brutally murdered by a woman named Gladys Carter in Eva's home in Chattanooga. 

The Death record states pistol wound and homicide.

The death certificate shows not only shot wounds to the chest but also  multiple stab wounds. 


So far no one has been able to locate any information as to what happened to Gladys Carter.

We would like to know:
1- Did Gladys go to trial?
2- Was Gladys sent to prison?
3- What was the reason she murdered Eva?

All we know is what's listed here in the post. 











Sources:
Chattanooga Times, Tennessee
State of TN, Dept of Public Health Division of Vital Statistics, Ancestry.com





8 comments:

  1. Oh my. Sending MUCH peace and ease Eva May. I have a cousin Lillie Mae who died under similar circumstances. I wonder if GenealogyBank has anything more that hit print news? I'd also do a records sweep - court, prison & census in my search for Gladys. Was she a neighbor to Eva or did she have a connection to Uncle Roscoe? You definitely did the right thing posting what you know online. It's always the best chance of getting our gaps filled. Proud of you!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luckie, I will try to get a subscription to Genealogy Bank soon, I don't know any more than I posted, She sure doesn't sound like any friend of either one. we searched the newspapers on microfilm while we were in Chattanooga but didn't find anything. With homicide it could take years before they actually get anything accomplished. so I may have to look farther up in years.

      Delete
  2. Wow, such a sad story. Eva was a beautiful woman. It's possible that Gladys was put in an insane Asylum. This happened to an uncle of mine. Hope you find the answers your looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, I hadn't thought of an Insane Asylum, I'll see if I can find any around that time. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. The history of our ancestors can be so sad and intriguing at the same time. I truly hope that you can help her find some closure by uncovering what really happened. Thanks for sharing this story with us and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my post, I search at least every week for something about Gladys. I will post any updates if I come across any.

      Delete
  4. I have an elder cousin who recently told me that her brother was murdered by a woman while he was visiting his girlfriend. My cousin had the same questions that you posted. I did a brief search of some online newspapers but so far found nothing. The more we all find the more questions there are to be answered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sad about your elder cousins brother, it's sad for the family even though we didn't know her, just wondering if justice was served. plus why it all happened in the first place.

      Delete